The Frederick Seventh-Day Adventist Church dates back to 1912, when a tent meeting was held on the corner of East 4th Street. Four people were baptized as a result of this series of meetings and officially became the first Seventh-Day Adventists in Frederick, Maryland.
For a number of years this small group met for Sabbath services and Bible study in homes. Tent meetings were again held with the assistance of a group of students from Washington Missionary College (currently Columbia union College). By 1919 this small group rented a room in the Pythian Castle for services.
In 1925, with nine members, the Frederick SDA Church was officially organized. In 1929 a building was moved to a Center Street lot purchased by the faithful pioneers, giving them a place of their own to meet.
Many places of worship and many meetings later, in 1940, a lot at 1305 North Market Street was purchased. It was here the first Frederick SDA Church building was constructed with volunteer labor and materials paid for as it was built. It was completed and dedicated debt free October 3, 1948.
In the Fall of 1951 a one-classroom, one-teacher school opened in the church basement. As the church and school continued to grow in numbers, a school building with four classrooms, a gymnasium and kitchen, located on Shookstown Road, opened its doors. Two years later, the North Market Street Church was sold and church and school was held in the Shookstown Road facility.
In the Fall of 1970, this property too, was sold and once again a new church and school home was erected on a donated 7-arce parcel of land facing Interstate Highway 70 with an address 80 Adventist Drive. Opening services of consecration in the A-frame church were held January 29,1972. The adjacent five-classroom, gym, kitchen and multipurpose room building was completed and opened its doors in September of 1975. A tragic electrical fire on February 28, 1993, destroyed the Adventist Drive Church. By miracle, the school was saved and it was here the church and school shared space for the next four years.
Ground breaking for our new colonial-style church facility here on Jefferson Pike, was on August 14, 1994, but it was not until August 15 of 1995 that construction began. Moving day finally arrived February 15, 1997, but only for occupancy in the school portion of the building. Once again church and school shared space until November 22, 1997, when the church was completed. Consecration of the church was held on January 17, 1998. Settlement was completed May of 1998 with a mortgage of $540,000.00. On April 6, 2002 an official Mortgage Burning Service was held to celebrate the full payment of the debt.
The Frederick Seventh-Day Adventist Church today has over 750 members and is growing. The church continues to positively impact the Frederick community through outreach programs such as seasonal fruit sales, "soup-kitchens" to feed the homeless and volunteering time at local shelters. Additionally, members of the church take leadership positions for projects for the American Red Cross and other charitable organizations.
About Seventh-day Adventists
Adventists believe a Trinity of three persons--the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit--make up one God. They made salvation possible when Jesus, the Son, came to earth as a baby in Bethlehem and lived a sinless life in accordance with the Father's will. When Jesus was crucified for the sins of the people of the world and arose from the dead on the third day, victory was won for everyone. More >>
|Frederick SDA Spanish Company|
|Highland View Academy (HVA)|
|Adventist Book Center (ABC)||The Adventist Channel (TV)||Religious Liberty|
|HVA ABC||SDA Adult Sabbath School Lesson|
|Lost N Found Books|